CHAPTER V - EDUCATION
26. Appropriate Governments and local authorities to provide children with disabilities free education, etc. -
The appropriate Governments and the local authorities shall
- ensure that every child with a disability has access to free education in an appropriate environment till he attains the age of eighteen years;
- endeavor to promote the integration of students with disabilities in the normal schools;
- promote setting up of special schools in Government and private sector for those in need of special education, in such a manner that children with disabilities living in any part of the country have access to such schools;
- endeavor to equip the special schools for children with disabilities with vocational training facilities.
27. Appropriate Governments and local authorities to make schemes and programmes for non-formal education, etc.-
The appropriate Governments and the local authorities shall by notification make schemes for
- conducting part-time classes in respect of children with disabilities who having completed education up to class fifth and could not continue their studies on a whole-time basis;
- conducting special part-time classes for providing functional literacy for children in the age group of sixteen and above;
- imparting non-formal education by utilizing the available manpower in rural areas after giving them appropriate orientation;
- imparting education through open schools or open universities;
- conducting class and discussions through interactive electronic or other media;
- providing every child with disability free of cost special books and equipments needed for his education.
28. Research for designing and developing new assistive devices, teaching aids, etc. -
The appropriate Governments shall initiate or cause to be initiated research by official and non-Governmental agencies for the purpose of designing and developing new assistive devices, teaching aids, special teaching materials or such other items as are necessary to give a child with disability equal opportunities in education.
29. Appropriate Governments to set up teachers' training institutions to develop trained manpower for schools for children with disabilities. -
The appropriate Governments shall set up adequate number of teachers' training institutions and assist the national institutes and other voluntary organizations to develop teachers' training programmes specializing in disabilities so that requisite trained manpower is available for special schools and integrated schools for children with disabilities.
30. Appropriate Governments to prepare a comprehensive education scheme providing for transport facilities, supply of books, etc. -
Without prejudice to the foregoing provisions, the appropriate Governments shall by notification prepare a comprehensive education scheme which shall make Provision for
- transport facilities to the children with disabilities or in the alternative financial incentives to parents or guardians to enable their children with disabilities to attend schools;
- the removal of architectural barriers from schools, colleges or other institutions, imparting vocational and professional training;
- the supply of books, uniforms and other materials to children with disabilities attending school;
- the grant of scholarship to students with disabilities;
- setting up of appropriate fora for the redressal of grievances of parents regarding the placement of their children with disabilities;
- suitable modification in the examination system to eliminate purely mathematical questions for the benefit of blind students and students with low vision;
- restructuring of curriculum for the benefit of children with disabilities;
- restructuring the curriculum for benefit of students with hearing impairment to facilitate them to take only one language as part of their curriculum.
31. Educational institutions to provide amanuensis to students with visual handicap. -
All educational institutions shall provide or cause to be provided amanuensis to blind students and students with or low vision.
<< Back to PWD Act